Sunday 27 November 2011

Aubergine Jerky

-REQUIRES A DEHYDRATOR-
This is based off of how I learned to make eggplant "bacon"; but I think it tastes more like jerky. It's quite nice.

2 Aubergines (eggplants)
1/4 ripe Avocado
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2-4 Tbsp Maple Syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
2 Tbsp Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
1/2 Tsp (or more) Fleur De Sel or sea salt
1/4 Tsp Cayenne or Chilli Powder
A few pinches of black pepper
Pinch of Thyme

Throw all ingredients except the aubergine into the blender and create a marinade by mixing on high speed, stirring regularly as needed. Slice the purpley goodness into thin strips, coat it with the glaze (I just tossed it all in a bowl with my hands then laid it out...but I am lazy) and allow to marinade for an hour or so. Dehydrate at 40 degrees C-this may take up to 2 full days (do NOT leave the dehydrator on while you sleep) but it is worth it.

Above is a "BLT" type sandwich I made using the aubergine jerky, spinach leaves, chopped cherry tomatoes, Basic Cashew Cheeze, and nutritional yeast on top of some (not raw) rye bread. mmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment